Tuesday, July 31, 2012

How did it go? It didn't!

My tough little guy endured lots of poking, prodding, and the worst...that big rubber band that pinches your skin and squeezes your arm.  Despite lots of patience, warm wraps, and ball squeezing, Jerry's veins could not be accessed.  Since they could not get an IV in they couldn't do any of the test.  So horrible.  He hated that rubber band part and I think just the slowness of the whole thing.  They would tourniquet one arm and clean it and feel it for several minutes then switch arms.  Then go to the other and somewhere in there attempted and moved around the needle for several minutes in each arm.   He did pretty good with the needle part it was the other part that was really annoying for him.  He said while they were doing it "stop it! You're bothering me!"  As if it was just a big inconvenience!   We bounced back quick when we decided that it just wasn't going to happen today and he was so happy with this little lunch box they gave him and happily said good-bye as we headed off for chuck e cheese.  Oh Yes, he also cried for Isaac for a few minutes who we left with Gigi.  So sweet.  So I guess what will happen is we go to Cleveland clinic main campus and get the IV (better at doing it?) there and then travel to this east side location to get the test.  Sounds like a lot and a lot of anticipation for my little guy.  I am hoping they can come up with another option.  Will wait to hear.

If Isaac has to have this I am more worried about how he will handle it.  He is not as used to this stuff and last night when I told him that I wouldn't be home in the am because we were taking Jerry for a test, he could not be quiet with his anxiety.  He kept saying stuff to Jerry..."Jerry, I am really worried and scared for you.  Jerry, I hope you are okay and it won't hurt really bad.  Jerry, I am sorry for all the mean things I ever did to you."  It was sweet yet I needed him to stop because he was making Jerry more anxious!

I always know there are worse things out there that people are dealing with and that helps me somewhat to be strong about all of it.  Here is an example of just an unbelievable story.  This family had one child with heart disease who had a transplant.  The whole family was tested and thought to be fine.  Now they have come to find out that all of their children have heart disease or flags to watch for.  here is the link.
http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/48284798#48284798

No comments:

Post a Comment